Pesto is one of the simple recipes that is easy to make and can be used in so many dishes. It’s great as a spread for sandwiches and toast in toaster oven, can be used as a pizza sauce, a salad dressing & also makes a great base for pasta, to just name a few!
Simple Vegan Pesto
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves although not always readily available, so can sub for spinach leaves!
- 2 tbsp cashews or walnuts or pinenuts
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast buy from iherb
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2-3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil I sometimes use a lot more than this. E.g. 1/4 cup if I’m using a big jar and need to fill
- Place all ingredients in a food processor/blender and blend until well combined. Tip: Depending on desired consistency, pulse for a short time for a coarse mixture, or blend longer for a smooth consistency.
- Taste and adjust the seasonings to taste. Store in a tightly sealed jar in the fridge for up to a week. Tip: Top with a layer of olive oil to prevent any browning.
- Spread on bread and toast in toaster oven.
- Use as a pizza sauce
- Use as a pasta sauce
- Use as a salad dressing
- Use as a sandwich spread
- Top on cooked potatoes (or any vegetables you like!)