Scrambled eggs for breakfast is something I really missed since turning vegan…until now! With just a few simple ingredients and in around 10 minutes you could be eating one of your favourites again! Japanese tofu mimics the texture of eggs, turmeric adds that slight yellow egg colour, while black/himalayan black salt gives that eggy taste.
Simple Vegan Tofu Scramble
- 200g firm tofu momen; もめん
- 1/4 onion
- 1 glove garlic
- 1 tsp black salt gives an eggy taste, OR any salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast iherb
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- any extra vegetables of your liking I use whatever is in my fridge at the time- usually tomato, mushrooms, broccoli, capsicum, spinach
- Finely cut onion and mince garlic and fry in some olive oil until sauteed
- Add tofu to the fry pan by roughly crumbling a block in your hand. Add the rest of the ingredients and gently mix. Tip: try not to mix/mash the tofu together too much..leaving some small chunks gives it a more realistic scrambled egg appearance and texture. Fry for about 5 minutes, give or take.
- Optional: Serve on toast, with avocado and fresh tomato, or use as a sandwich filling.
Ingredients guide for Japan residents
There are various brands of nutritional yeast available to purchase online from iherb. I recommend this one below.
There are various brands of black salt available to purchase online from Amazon Japan. Pictured below is the one I purchased.